Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Life After College!

I recently graduated from St. Bonaventure a semester early. When I went into college my plan was to stay the full 4 years and then see where life takes me. But wanting to have all the areas on my audit complete I took a few classes over the summer and had enough credits to finish early. Now that I have finished I wish I could go back! In college every thing was set and not to many choices had to be made. ie, money was received through loans, work study, parents or borrowing from friends, also all the days were filled with a schedule. So I knew that each day I had classes and had to do work for classes. That life was fantastic. This was a fantastic quote that I heard my freshman year, I know it is from a movie but not sure which,

“You have four years to be irresponsible here. Relax. Work is for people with jobs. You'll never remember class time, but you'll remember time you wasted hanging out with your friends. So, stay out late. Go out on a Tuesday with your friends when you have a paper due Wednesday. Spend money you don't have. Drink 'til su...nrise. The work never ends, but college does..."

We did what we want, ate and drank what we wanted, went where we want, and had no rules or worries! I will miss that but I will never forget the fun and awesome friends I made.

So far after college, I have a part time job working with Camp Fire USA doing family strengthening and club program. It's not a bad job but it is not the best either. It is fun working with the people and the trainings are generally informative. Also I have a very flexible schedule, I can wake when I want, work out when I want and coach lacrosse at my high school Bishop McNamara. Which brings me to my next thing, I am coaching lacrosse for the team that I started almost 8 years ago! It will be fun but I am nervous as I have never coached and haven't played in what seems like forever. I am reading up on all lacrosse stuff, to make sure I feel confident though!

This February marks the 2 year anniversary for Ed and myself. Neither of us are sure the exact day so we celebrate the 7th-14th. We have a tradition of watching the CAPS game. The first date we watched it on MSG in my dorm room, the 1st anniversary we went to the game in Buffalo, and this year we are going to the game in DC. They always seem to play the Sabres so it makes for an awesome game! Super excited that he will be down here for the whole week. It has been 3 weeks since I saw him last. We are trying to figure things out with him finding a job down here so we can settle down together. We shall see what the future brings!

Since I do have such a flexible schedule and a lot of time on my hands I have taken to working out several times a day. I spent most of my time at the gym and am trying to get a handle back on my health. It just seems like it is time. Wish me luck as I am embarking on this journey, this is what my mind is really set on for the next few moths, changing my life style!

In closing my friend put this quote on facebook the other day and I could not agree more after applying for a number of jobs!

"Life after college is like fishing. You just have to keep casting to see what you can catch."

No comments: